Pages

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Fear of Flying


We are moving 432.2 miles, so far I have packed 35 boxes and still have more to go. Today I spent £61 on keys for our new tenants and nearly £40 on pointless party bag nonsense for Holly’s leaving party at nursery.  But the thing praying on my mind is not the move, not the packing, not the ever increasing random expenses associated with moving and letting – the thing that I fear the most is the one hour flight to Edinburgh. 
 
We are flying out of London City which I have always found to be business, not baby friendly.  Lots of people in suits looking at you and wishing you weren’t there. That said, I have always found the ground staff (not to be confused with the security staff) at City Airport to be really helpful and very aware of how tricky it can be to carry/control a toddler, change bag and buggy.  

Holly and I have done lots of flying, both short and long haul, but I always dread it.  I find getting through security alone with a toddler traumatic – every airport seems to have different rules regarding liquids, and I must look pretty suspect as our change bag is always swabbed for explosives. 

Our last flight up to Scotland, about three weeks ago, was memorable for all the wrong reasons.  Holly succumbed to a tummy bug resulting in a leaking nappy just before take-off (no spare clothes to hand) and projectile vomiting during take-off.   We both smelled delightful!

My plan of attack for Thursday includes:
  • ·         Stickers – plenty of  them
  • ·         Crayons/paper
  • ·         Play Doh
  • ·         Grapes
  • ·         Little box of cereal
  • ·         Bag of Pom-Bear crisps
  • ·         Little make-up bag packed with random surprises
  • ·         2 x bottles of milk (naughty but worth it)
  • ·         One new book
  • ·         iPhone loaded with DuckDuckMoose apps
It’s only an hour, how bad can it be?  If anyone has any toddler travel tips please do let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have everything under control to me! Good luck (and just remember that you will probably never ever see any of those people on the flight again!) ;) Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma - the flight went fine in the end. I am sure we were hated for the mess we left behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having flown alone as far as New York with not one but two toddlers a few times, I have lots of tips. Too many for this little box. But the summary is like this: chocolate candy (super special treat), and carry as little as possible. The safety card is always a favorite. Amazingly, I've found London City airport staff really helpful. Maybe you should borrow another toddler for the flight? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I think you're amazing. I won't moan again! Can't even imagine doing it with two!

    ReplyDelete